Subject: Re: bug#23600: 25.1.50; encode-time returns wrong result

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 18:20:04 +0300

> Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 05:47:27 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 15:18:43 -0700
> > 
> > Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > I think it would be cleaner if we copied the string before modifying
> > > it.
> > 
> > Other parts of Emacs modify the string in place and expect the modifications to 
> > affect the time zone setting, so in general it won't work to copy the string, 
> > modify the copy, and pass the copy's address to putenv.
> 
> Too bad.

Actually, could you point me to those places?  Because if the code
which expects that is not already ifdef'ed out/around for Windows,
it's a problem waiting to be discovered, since MS _putenv accepts a
'const char *' argument, and my references indicate that the
implementation indeed copies the input string.  So those other parts
of the code expect something that cannot work on Windows.

Thanks.