Subject: 23.0.90; redirect-frame-focus induces translucent tooltips/frames

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:54:23 +0100

1. emacs -Q -fn "Dejavu Sans Mono-10"
2. Sanity check:
   a. Move mouse cursor over a tool bar icons and observe that the
      tooltips have their normal appearance.
   b. Type `C-x 5 2' and observe that the newly created frame has its
      normal appearance, the type `C-x 5 0'.
   c. M-: (eq (selected-frame) (previous-frame))
      => t
3. M-: (redirect-frame-focus (selected-frame) (previous-frame))
   a. Move mouse cursor over a tool bar icon and observe that the
      tooltip is translucent and very light, barely visible.
   b. Type `C-x 5 2' and observe that the newly created frame is
      likewise translucent and barely visible.

Subsequent frames created by typing `C-x 5 2' in the first frame all
have the same translucent appearance.  However, if I type `C-x 5 0' in
the first, normal-looking frame, thereby deleting it, then from the
translucent frame type `C-x 5 2', then the newly created frame has its
normal appearance, including tooltips, and typing `C-x 5 2' in this
frame creates a normal-looking frame.  (But now repeating step 3 again
has the same shadowy results as before.)

I don't know when this effect of redirect-frame-focus began (I guess
since the unicode merge, though I only started seeing it recently after
reactivating some old code I have that uses redirect-frame-focus); I do
not see it with Emacs 22.  Also, while I get the translucent tooltips
with both the x and xft font backends and regardless of font used, the
appearance of the translucent frame is more restricted: I see it with
-fn "Dejavu Sans Mono-10" with both backends, but only with the xft
backend with -fn "Dejavu Sans-10", -fn "Adobe Times-12" or -fn "Adobe
Helvetica-12" (the latter two are not defined under the x backend); with
other sizes of all of these fonts I don't get a translucent frame (but
still get translucent tooltips).

In GNU Emacs 23.0.90.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4)
 of 2009-02-14 on escher
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10502000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t