Subject: bug#23599: closed (Re: bug#23599: Including search directories for pdf and dvi)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:08:01 +0000

Your bug report

#23599: Including search directories for pdf and dvi

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23599: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23599
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23599: Including search directories for pdf and dvi
From: Mike Frysinger <[email-masked]>
To: Mohammad Akhlaghi <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 04:07:43 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

i believe this will be fixed in the next release with the patches i
just merged.  please feel free to reopen if that doesn't work out.
-mike

Subject: Including search directories for pdf and dvi
From: Mohammad Akhlaghi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 19:18:48 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

In buiding Gnuastro, we are using Gnulib's `build-aux/bootstrap'.

To keep the source files clean, we have configured the bootstrap
process to build all its files and directories in a directory named
"bootstrapped". In the Git repository (link below), this directory is
basically empty (except for a README file) and in the relase tarball
it is populated with all the bootstrapped directories. The general
structure can be seen in the repo on Savannah:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuastro.git/tree/

One of the files in Gnulib that can be imported (instead of having to
keep it in the version controlled source) is `fdl.texi' (the Texinfo
source for the GNU Free Documentation license). Until now we have this
file under version control in our `doc/' directory. But since it is
present in the Gnulib archives, I am working on importing it during
the bootstrap process (my current work is not yet merged into the
repository yet).

The bootstrapping process puts the file in
`bootstrapped/doc/fdl.texi'. So I have included the following line in
my `doc/Makefile.am':

    AM_MAKEINFOFLAGS = -I $(top_srcdir)/bootstrapped/doc

This works for `make' (to build Info files) and also for `make
html'. However, when I run `make pdf', or `make dvi', it complains
about not finding `fdl.texi'.

Looking at Automake's generated `.texi.dvi', or `.texi.pdf' rules in
`Makefile.in', I see that the `AM_MAKEINFOFLAGS' is not given to
`texi2dvi'. It is set in the `MAKEINFO' variable before calling
`texi2dvi'. Therefore `texi2dvi' isn't instructed look into this
directory and thus it can't generate the pdf or dvi outputs. When I
add this line by hand in the final Makefile's rule, it works and finds
the directory.

I currently have a workaround for this problem (copying or making a
symbolic link from the `bootstrapped/doc/fdl.texi' to the
`doc/fdl.texi' during the bootstrap process), however, this is not
elegant! This file is a bootstrapped file and it would be much better
and clear if it remains with the other bootstrapped files.

If I am doing something wrong or missing something, I would really
appreciate it if you could let me know.  Since the `AM_MAKEINFOFLAGS'
solution works in making Info and HTML outputs for this situation, but
not in pdf or dvi outputs, I thought it might be a bug and I am
sharing it with you here to see if you agree and if it is possible to
fix this problem.

Thank you very much,
Mohammad