Subject: Re: bug#23599: Including search directories for pdf and dvi

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 14:43:57 -0700

TEXI2DVI = texi2dvi -I libc -I libm

Couldn't it be set in each directory individually?
But anyway, agreed it is not the best approach, so never mind.

    TEXI2DVI = texi2dvi -e

Just for the record: -E, not -e.

    * provide AM_TEXI2FLAGS to apply to both texi2dvi & texi2pdf calls

Good idea.

      - i don't think we need sep AM_TEXI2DVIFLAGS & AM_TEXI2PDFFLAGS, at least
        for now.  if a request comes in, we can support both easily.

Agreed.

    * update the lib/am/texibuild.am .dvi & .pdf rules to output
    automatic -I paths just like we do for makeinfo

Sounds sensible.

    * i guess delete the MAKEINFO= env var passing to texi2dvi &
      texi2pdf ?  if we don't want it to be used, prob best to throw it
      away to avoid confusion.

Oh, looking again, I see the confusion: texi2dvi does use $MAKEINFO --
not jut for "options" to be passed to it, but as the invocation
of the makeinfo program. As in:

texi2dvi:1193:    makeinfo=${MAKEINFO:-makeinfo}
..
texi2dvi:1243:      | eval $makeinfo --footnote-style=end -I "$in_dir" $run_mi_includes \

So it is not ignored. --thanks,karl.