Subject: bug#23595: 25.1.50; file with chinese/japanse chars, vc-diff fails (HG, Git, RCS)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 03:09:27 +0300

On 05/24/2016 06:40 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Not sure it's a good idea: the solution we found is only known to work
> with Git, whereas vc-coding-system-for-diff is for any VCS.  Mercurial
> seems to have a similar encode/decode filter feature, but I'm not sure
> using it means the diff results will be in UTF-8.

Do we actually know that we'll need this behavior to be VCS-specific?

So far, we've seem some pretty similar results with vc-diff using Git, 
Hg and RCS.

> I think we should have a git-specific function that implements the
> above idea, and then we should use it in vc-coding-system-for-diff.

Git-specific or backend-specific?

I suppose we could add some new encoding-handling logic at the beginning 
of vc-git-diff instead.

> (I prefer a separate function because my gut feeling is that we will
> need something like that in other Git operations, when UTF-16 files
> are involved.)

We can always extract a new function when it's needed, though.