Subject: Re: bug#23590: 25.0.94; Errors in default lgrep command

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 11:17:37 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 05:41:56 +0200
> 
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > There was discussion here before the patch was posted, but then no
> > follow-up.  I've respun the patch for Emacs 28 -- does anybody have any
> > comments?
> 
> There were no comments in a month, and the patch makes sense to me, so
> I've applied it to Emacs 28.

I'm sorry to not have chimed earlier, but I think this change goes too
far.  Now the default "M-x grep" command includes --directories=skip
if the user's Grep program supports that.  This is not a good idea for
the general-purpose Grep commands.  For example, if the user adds to
the default command "-R foo" somewhere before the --directories=skip
part, the command will say "no matches", which would be a surprise at
best, and at worst could mislead the user.

The original bug report was about "M-x lgrep".  Can we make this
change affect only that command?

In any case, this is a user-visible change, so it should be called out
in NEWS.

Thanks.