Subject: bug#23590: 25.0.94; Errors in default lgrep command

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 18:11:18 -0600

The default lgrep command (`all' for the FILES argument) gives
off unexpected errors.

* When there are no hidden (dot) files in the given directory, then I
  get the following error:

zsh:1: no matches found: *.
Grep exited abnormally with code 1 at ...

By default lgrep uses my default shell (zsh). Should this be the case?
Setting `shell-file-name' to "bash" fixes this error, but it still
produces the next error.

* When there are directories in the given directory (this includes . and
  ..) then lgrep produces an error for each directory. For example:

grep: .: Is a directory
grep: ..: Is a directory
grep: .emacs.d: Is a directory

Grep exited abnormally with code 2 at ...

In GNU Emacs 25.0.94.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-05-17 built on lylat
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
Configured using:
 'configure --with-gif=no'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_CA.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_CA.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils thingatpt grep compile
comint ansi-color ring time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 95915 8690)
 (symbols 48 20220 0)
 (miscs 40 50 221)
 (strings 32 16338 4494)
 (string-bytes 1 485576)
 (vectors 16 12554)
 (vector-slots 8 436687 5729)
 (floats 8 172 70)
 (intervals 56 346 19)
 (buffers 976 12)
 (heap 1024 43598 1075))