Subject: 24.5; Emacs window clips to half its size in xmonad

From: Christian Gogolin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 16:11:13 +0200

After starting Emacs in xmonad (v0.11, Debian testing package version
0.11.1-4) on some workspace with emacs -Q, switching to another work
space, and then switching back to Emacs, the Emacs window becomes
"cropped". It then still occupies the same space as a window in the
window manager and the menu bar still extends to the full width of the
window, but emacs only draws its "content" in the upper left quarter of
the
available space and all emacs windows are resized as if the whole
window
had been resized.

The problem is 100% reproducible and happens independently of the used
xmonad layout and even in floating mode. Sometimes more than one switch
to another work space is required to trigger the behavior. When the
window size changes (by switching to a different layout for example)
Emacs again draws in the whole available space.

The bug makes emacs very hard to use in my setup.

I am happy to provide additional details if you tell me what to do.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-04-08 on binet, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.11803000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (stretch)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-
locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-
lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-
lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-
locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-
lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-
lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50latex-cjk-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50latex-cjk-thai.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50texlive-lang-english.el
(source)...done
Loading paren...done
Loading /home/cgogolin/emacs/ebib.el (source)...done
Loading /home/cgogolin/emacs/x-dict.el (source)...done
Loading /home/cgogolin/emacs/wc-mode.el (source)...done
Loading /home/cgogolin/.emacs.d/recentf...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
~/emacs/completion hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/completion
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/language/thai-word
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-en hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/preview hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/preview
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp hides /usr/share/emacs/site-
lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex hides /usr/share/emacs/site-
lisp/auctex/tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/latex hides /usr/share/emacs/site-
lisp/auctex/latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message
rfc822
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode org org-macro org-footnote org-
pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-
keys
ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
advice
recentf tree-widget wid-edit cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs windmove wc-mode x-dict easymenu edmacro kmacro ebib derived
help-fns cl-macs cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib paren cus-start cus-load
emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 173847 8083)
 (symbols 48 28084 0)
 (miscs 40 71 137)
 (strings 32 39079 7173)
 (string-bytes 1 1259595)
 (vectors 16 16900)
 (vector-slots 8 463607 4066)
 (floats 8 109 236)
 (intervals 56 263 0)
 (buffers 960 12)
 (heap 1024 37358 1015))