Subject: bug#23585: closed (Re: bug#23585: 25.0.93; Win32: spurious ^M pop up at byte offset 65536)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 22:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23585: 25.0.93; Win32: spurious ^M pop up at byte offset 65536

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23585: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23585
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23585: 25.0.93; Win32: spurious ^M pop up at byte offset 65536
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 17:11:07 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Without a recipe, I can't see this going anywhere, so closing.

Subject: 25.0.93; Win32: spurious ^M pop up at byte offset 65536
From: Anders Lindgren <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 12:16:51 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

I've noticed that sometimes an extra carriage return character pops up in
my source files, when running Emacs under Windows. They are always located
at the end of a line. I use auto-revert mode and I've only seen this in
files already open in Emacs.

Today I noticed that one such carriage return character was placed at
buffer position 62879 in line 2658. This corresponds to byte position 65536
(or hex 0x10000) in the file. Clearly, this can't be a coincidence.

By the way, I'm not sure Emacs is the culprit here -- I use subversion as a
version control system and Visual Studio for debugging and sometimes minor
edits.

    -- Anders