Subject: bug#23583: 24.5; Freeze when calling ediff in fs-mode in i3wm

From: Jan Pappert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 18:18:06 +0200

Recipe:
1) Use i3wm
2) emacs -Q
3) F11
4) M-x ediff
5) Supply 2 files

Symptoms: The mini-buffer prints "processing differences.. done.", but
the ediff menu is not shown, the buffers don't change and freeze. You
can no longer do anything. Hitting C-g four times will send resolve the
issue and allow you to defullscreen. The ediff results are then shown.

Possible workarounds:
Setting
(setq ediff-window-setup-function 'ediff-setup-windows-plain)
in your configuration file will open the ediff help in the same
frame. The issue will then not occur.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.6)
 of 2015-09-17 on lgw01-50, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:    Ubuntu 15.10

Configured using:
 `configure --build i686-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build i686-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  window-numbering-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  global-my-mode: t
  my-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Mark set
Quit [2 times]
(No files need saving)
Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? n
(No files need saving)
Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? n
<down-mouse-1> is undefined
<mouse-1> is undefined
Mark set
byte-code: End of buffer [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/jpappert/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20160428.1202/helm-multi-match hides
/home/jpappert/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-core-20160515.335/helm-multi-match
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/language/thai-word

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail conf-mode image-file mule-util
magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff
smerge-mode diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-process magit-popup magit-mode help-mode magit-git crm
magit-section magit-utils git-commit log-edit message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log
with-editor async-bytecomp async tramp-sh server vc-git face-remap
ace-jump-buffer avy bs network-stream starttls tls erc-list erc-menu
erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match
erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend
erc-compat jka-compr ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff winner helm-command helm-elisp
helm-eval edebug eldoc helm-mode helm-files rx image-dired tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete format-spec dired-x
dired-aux ffap helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark
helm-adaptive helm-info bookmark pp helm-locate helm-external helm-net
browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap helm-types
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-capf
company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic company-eclim
company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb company pcase
recentf tree-widget wid-edit helm-swoop helm-grep helm-regexp
helm-plugin helm-utils compile comint ansi-color ring helm-help
elec-pair multiple-cursors mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode
mc-separate-operations rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-pop mc-mark-more
thingatpt mc-cycle-cursors mc-edit-lines multiple-cursors-core rect helm
cl-macs gv helm-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
cconv eieio-core helm-multi-match helm-lib dired window-numbering linum
solarized-dark-theme solarized dash tex-site info package epg-config
reftex reftex-vars easymenu edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib my-mode
advice help-fns easy-mmode paren time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 391370 38161)
 (symbols 24 43010 0)
 (miscs 20 1717 666)
 (strings 16 98456 7951)
 (string-bytes 1 2731052)
 (vectors 8 40501)
 (vector-slots 4 762373 42032)
 (floats 8 303 673)
 (intervals 28 3302 830)
 (buffers 512 34)
 (heap 1024 20861 4056))