Subject: bug#23576: closed (Re: bug#23576: [documentation] ‘UsingEmacs as a Server’: ‘M-xset-variable RET server-name RET foo RET’)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 19:54:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23576: [documentation] ‘Using Emacs as a Server’: ‘M-x set-variable RET server-name RET foo RET’

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23576: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23576
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23576: [documentation] ‘Using Emacs as aServer’: ‘M-xset-variable RET server-name RET foo RET’
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Dmitry Alexandrov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 22:53:33 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Dmitry Alexandrov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 22:25:38 +0300
> 
> Chapter 38 ‘Using Emacs as a Server’ in ‘GNU Emacs Manual’ says [0] the 
> following:
> 
>      You can run multiple Emacs servers on the same machine by giving
>      each one a unique “server name”, using the variable server-name. For
>      example, M-x set-variable RET server-name RET foo RET sets the
>      server name to ‘foo’.
> 
> [0] 
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Emacs-Server.html
> 
> First of all, ‘M-x set-variable RET server-name RET foo RET’ just does 
> not work, returning “Value ‘foo’ does not match type string of 
> server-name”.  It actually should be ‘M-x set-variable RET server-name 
> RET "foo" RET’, since ‘server-name’ requires a string.

Fixed on the release branch.

> However, I found this example pretty confusing in general: when the 
> server is not started yet, setting ‘server-name’ with ‘M-x set-variable’ 
> is impossible (variable does not exist yet);

Fixed on master branch.

> when the server is already running, there is no much sense in
> setting it, since it does not rename the instance on-the-fly.

But it affects the next one.

> ¿Would not it be more useful to give as an example of how to start 
> multiple Emacs servers something like:
> 
> $ emacs --eval '(setq server-name "foo")' --daemon

I added this, but I don't think it should replace what's in the
manual: not all the uses of the server are in daemon sessions.

Thanks.

Subject: [documentation] ‘Using Emacs as a Server’: ‘M-x set-variable RET server-name RET foo RET’
From: Dmitry Alexandrov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 22:25:38 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Chapter 38 ‘Using Emacs as a Server’ in ‘GNU Emacs Manual’ says [0] the 
following:

     You can run multiple Emacs servers on the same machine by giving
     each one a unique “server name”, using the variable server-name. For
     example, M-x set-variable RET server-name RET foo RET sets the
     server name to ‘foo’.

[0] 
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Emacs-Server.html

First of all, ‘M-x set-variable RET server-name RET foo RET’ just does 
not work, returning “Value ‘foo’ does not match type string of 
server-name”.  It actually should be ‘M-x set-variable RET server-name 
RET "foo" RET’, since ‘server-name’ requires a string.

However, I found this example pretty confusing in general: when the 
server is not started yet, setting ‘server-name’ with ‘M-x set-variable’ 
is impossible (variable does not exist yet); when the server is already 
running, there is no much sense in setting it, since it does not rename 
the instance on-the-fly.

¿Would not it be more useful to give as an example of how to start 
multiple Emacs servers something like:

$ emacs --eval '(setq server-name "foo")' --daemon