Subject: Re: bug#23574: 24.5; Overzealous underlining in emacs-nox

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 07:42:37 -0400

tag 23574 + notabug
quit

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 10:27 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> That doesn't seem to be the case, with the following modification to
>> the recipe so that the newline characters are not underlined, the
>> underlining does not continue to the edge of the screen:
>
> When the newline does not have the underline attribute, the underline
> is not contiguous, so you are radically changing the use case.

Yes. However, I believe that this is what the original ensime code
intended to do; it only underlines the newlines themselves because
it's easier to make 1 overlay for all the lines at once and the
programmer didn't notice it was wrong because it happens to give the
desired effect in GUI mode.

Regardless, by experimentation I find that the space at the edge of
the screen takes the face from the final newline, not the last
displayed glyph character in the line. Is this documented anywhere?