Subject: Re: bug#23568: 25.0.94; Mode line menus appear incorrectly in some monitor configurations

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2017 09:32:12 +0300

> From: Alex <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2017 18:54:03 -0600
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I fixed up the docstrings to match display-monitor-attributes-list.

Thanks, a few comments below.

> Don't you want to throw an error when x and y are used, but are not
> integers?

If this is supposed to be used as part of mode-line display, then no.
Signaling errors in the middle of redisplay is generally a bad idea,
because they cause another redisplay cycle, which again signals an
error, and Emacs just freezes.

> +(defun display-monitor-attribute (attribute &optional display x y)
> +  "Return the value of the ATTRIBUTE of the current monitor.

The doc string should say something about what "the current monitor"
means, or have a link to where that is explained.

> +DISPLAY can be a display name, a terminal name, or a frame.

"Terminal name" or "terminal object"?

> +(defun display-monitor-geometry (&optional display x y)
> +    "Return the geometry of the current monitor.
> +DISPLAY can be a display name, a terminal name, or a frame.

Same here, on both counts.

> diff --git a/src/xmenu.c b/src/xmenu.c
> index 2805249164..04d5bde2ba 100644
> --- a/src/xmenu.c
> +++ b/src/xmenu.c

Why is this in xmenu.c?  Is the problem unique to X window system?