Subject: bug#23546: 25.1.50; scroll-restore-mode breaks comint-mode

From: Dmitry Alexandrov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 21:48:45 +0300

On 18/05/16 10:01, martin rudalics wrote:
>>> Could you try with ‘comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input’ set to 'this?
>>> That option apparently conflicts with ‘scroll-restore-jump-back’.
>>
>> Yes, this option does force any input to be typed at the
>> end-of-buffer, of course.  However, the possibility to ‘C-r’ back,
>> edit some command in-place and hit ‘RET’ — i. e. the possibility that
>> this option disables — is exactly why I prefer shell-mode over a
>> full-featured terminal emulator.
>
> I still don't understand what you need ‘scroll-restore-jump-back’ for.
> But I have to admit that I don't even remember the purpose of that
> option well :-(

Hmm...  Probably I completely missed the point, but is not 
‘scroll-restore-jump-back’ an option that enables the title 
functionality of scroll-restore-mode — restoring the point position 
after scrolling, thus simulating the behaviour of most editors, which 
does not have that limitation of Emacs — that cursor position can be 
on-screen only.

How would you recommend to use it?  To write an advice around 
‘keyboard-quit’ (like below), so scrolling would be ‘cancelled’ only 
with ‘C-g’?

(defadvice keyboard-quit (before scroll-restore-jump-back activate)
   (scroll-restore-jump-back))

>>> I'm afraid that ‘scroll-restore-mode’ is too simplistic in this regard.
>>
>> Alas.
>
> I'll attach my latest version of ‘scroll-restore-mode’.  Please try it.
> If you confirm that this version works

Yes.  My appreciations to you.

> and doesn't break anything else,

I could not try anything, of course, but at first sight it does not.