Subject: Re: bug#23546: 25.1.50; scroll-restore-mode breaks comint-mode

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 09:01:22 +0200

>> Could you try with ‘comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input’ set to 'this?
 >> That option apparently conflicts with ‘scroll-restore-jump-back’.
 >
 > Yes, this option does force any input to be typed at the
 > end-of-buffer, of course.  However, the possibility to ‘C-r’ back,
 > edit some command in-place and hit ‘RET’ — i. e. the possibility that
 > this option disables — is exactly why I prefer shell-mode over a
 > full-featured terminal emulator.

I still don't understand what you need ‘scroll-restore-jump-back’ for.
But I have to admit that I don't even remember the purpose of that
option well :-(

 >> I'm afraid that ‘scroll-restore-mode’ is too simplistic in this regard.
 >
 > Alas.

I'll attach my latest version of ‘scroll-restore-mode’.  Please try it.
If you confirm that this version works and doesn't break anything else,
I can install the appropriate changes in the elpa version.

Thanks, martin