Subject: bug#23533: 24.5; test-completion with completion-regexp-list

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 13:40:04 -0400

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 13:14:59 -0400
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 4:08 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> > I'm not sure this is a bug.
>>
>> I  think it's pretty clearly a bug, because the docs explain that
>> test-completion takes the same arguments as all-completions and
>> try-completions, which do handle an alist COLLECTION with a non-nil
>> completion-regexp-list.
>
> When code contradicts the documentation, it's not immediately clear
> that the code should be fixed.

Independently of the documentation, I also think it makes no sense to
have test-completion be inconsistent with all-completions and
try-completion.

>
> Anyway, I don't consider myself an expert on completion, so I feel
> uneasy about makings this change without any of the experts voicing
> their opinions on the change.

Okay, I will wait another week before pushing to master in case anyone
has some objections/comments.