Subject: bug#23529: Request for fixing randomize_va_space build issues

From: Philippe Vaucher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 16:10:47 +0200

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> From: Philippe Vaucher <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 21:32:51 +0200
>> Cc: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>, Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>>
>> >>     What about disabling randomization for the temacs run?
>> >>
>> >> That is yet another low-level thing to configure, and to get right in new ports.
>> >
>> > We already have that in Emacs, don't we?
>>
>> That is exactly why I made the bug report 23529!
>>
>> Because Emacs does stuffs at build time that requires "high"
>> privileges (like the personality() syscall), one cannot build Emacs in
>> various restricted environments.
>>
>> Disabling randomization is exactly what we should get rid of, at least
>> at build time.
>
> Isn't it the other way around: the first priority is to enable
> randomization and all the other modern techniques for running the
> dumped Emacs?

Now you confuse me... let's start over: I'm saying that we should try
to make Emacs build fine wether there is address randomization or not
. There should not be "disable ASLR" hacks when building/dumping, like
there currently is.

Basically, Emacs should not require higher privileges than GCC, which
is currently not the case with all the personality() syscalls &
friends.

Now, maybe I missunderstood you when you said "What about disabling
randomization for the temacs run?". I understood that as "Why don't we
disable ASLR when temacs run?", which is exactly why Emacs has problem
building in restricted environments.

Philippe