Subject: Re: bug#23529: Request for fixing randomize_va_space build issues

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 09:59:52 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> What do you mean by
> "relocating objects", and why would we need to do that as part of
> un-dumping?

Objects in the new Emacs might have different addresses from objects in the old 
Emacs, due to address randomization.

>>     What about disabling randomization for the temacs run?
>>
>> That is yet another low-level thing to configure, and to get right in new ports.
>
> We already have that in Emacs, don't we?

Yes, and that's one of the problems that we should fix. It causes us to run into 
portability problems. It's still not clear that the current implementation will 
actually work on POSIXish systems. We are on (or over) the edge of portability 
here, and we need to get off.

> No, this point started with me saying dumping and reading dumped data
> with fixups is relatively easy, and you objecting saying address
> randomizations will defeat that.  Now we agree that it's a tangential
> issue unrelated to my proposal.

We don't agree.