Subject: Re: bug#23529: Request for fixing randomize_va_space build issues

From: Philippe Vaucher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 22:00:43 +0200

>> A typical non-trivial Emacs session takes several seconds, sometimes
>> 25 or more, to start
>
> ?!  That may be typical for *you*. It is not typical for me. On the
six-year-old desktop at work that I'm using to type this message (hard
disks, no flash) in normal mode, Emacs by default takes 1.2 seconds to
start up. Even 1.2 seconds is too long, as I start up Emacs a lot.

I second that, most people load emacs in less than 7 seconds, and below 2
when they use use-package or equivalent. That is for emacs with 50+
packages.

> And as long as we use them as compilers and linkers, we will be fine. We
got into the current mess because we went under the covers of the
underlying systems. That was reasonable in the 1980s when things were
simpler, but it is not reasonable now.

I agree with the spirit: we should try to simplify & modernify emacs.
Adding something very custom sounds like another maintenance hell.

Philippe