Subject: bug#23508: 25.1.50; make-network-process fails on :service t

From: mola mola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 11:13:38 +0000

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.30)
 of 2016-05-09 built on ubuntu
Repository revision: c20cc0986cdade6577d6ce169330db19e2169794
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
Entering debugger...

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY LIBXML2 FREETYPE
M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils debug edmacro kmacro finder-inf package
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 160686 9061)
 (symbols 48 25447 0)
 (miscs 40 269 204)
 (strings 32 36119 6289)
 (string-bytes 1 970348)
 (vectors 16 19072)
 (vector-slots 8 522924 5107)
 (floats 8 224 52)
 (intervals 56 232 10)
 (buffers 976 13)
 (heap 1024 18327 1206))

(setq testprocess
      (make-network-process :name "test"
                            :host 'local
                            :server t
                            :service t
                            :family 'ipv4))

This works fine on emacs 24. It is not working in emacs 25. In emacs 25, it seems that only string and integer is accepted.

:service service

    service specifies a port number to connect to; or, for a server, the port number to listen on. It should be a service name that translates to a port number, or an integer specifying the port number directly. For a server, it can also be t, which means to let the system select an unused port number.

Backtrace log:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid argument 4 of operation 'open-network-stream'")
  make-network-process(:name "test" :host local :server t :service t :family ipv4)
  (setq testprocess (make-network-process :name "test" :host (quote local) :server t :service t :family (quote ipv4)))
  eval((setq testprocess (make-network-process :name "test" :host (quote local) :server t :service t :family (quote ipv4))) nil)
  elisp--eval-last-sexp(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  funcall-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil)
  call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)
   command-execute(eval-last-sexp)