Subject: bug#23500: closed (Re: bug#23500: Manual:4.3 Guile Scripting: Show to a layman that Guile can invoke shell commands, which are common in bash scripts.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 15:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23500: Manual:4.3 Guile Scripting: Show to a layman that Guile can invoke shell commands, which are common in bash scripts.

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23500: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23500
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23500: Manual:4.3 Guile Scripting: Show to a layman that Guile can invoke shell commands, which are common in bash scripts.
From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
To: Evan Davis <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 16:23:45 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue 10 May 2016 00:48, Evan Davis <[email-masked]> writes:

> In §4.3 (Guile Scripting) please mention §7.2.7 (Processes), or at
> least the system/system* and open-pipe procedures.  Maybe include an
> example of a guile script invoking shell commands, as is common in
> bash.  As a layman, the manual's scripting section left me unsure
> whether Guile could easily replace my typical bash scripts, and I
> needed further help from Wingo on <irc://irc.freenode.net/guile>.

Tx for the report.  Added this text to the end of the section:

  Finally, seasoned scripters are probably missing a mention of
  subprocesses.  In Bash, for example, most shell scripts run other
  programs like @code{sed} or the like to do the actual work.

  In Guile it's often possible get everything done within Guile itself, so
  do give that a try first.  But if you just need to run a program and
  wait for it to finish, use @code{system*}.  If you need to run a
  sub-program and capture its output, or give it input, use
  @code{open-pipe}.  @xref{Processes}, and @xref{Pipes}, for more
  information.

Andy

Subject: Manual:4.3 Guile Scripting: Show to a layman that Guile can invoke shell commands, which are common in bash scripts.
From: Evan Davis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 18:48:26 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In §4.3 (Guile Scripting) please mention §7.2.7 (Processes), or at
least the system/system* and open-pipe procedures.  Maybe include an
example of a guile script invoking shell commands, as is common in
bash.  As a layman, the manual's scripting section left me unsure
whether Guile could easily replace my typical bash scripts, and I
needed further help from Wingo on <irc://irc.freenode.net/guile>.