Subject: bug#23476: 25.0.93; Visiting C files on master signals an error

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2016 10:27:54 +0300

If you visit any C file on the master branch with Emacs 25.0.93, Emacs
asks an annoying question about unsafe local variables:

If you answer "y", Emacs signals an error:

  File local-variables error: (void-function c-make-noise-macro-regexps)

If I do the same with Emacs built from master, the problem doesn't
happen.  Did someone assume that the sources on master are only edited
by an Emacs produced from that master?  If so, that's bad assumption.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.93.26 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2016-05-06 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: c760a600da6dbfa495613aa5042ab073b9490c85
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/d/usr --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --with-wide-int
 --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: C/l

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Please type y, n, or !: y
File local-variables error: (void-function c-make-noise-macro-regexps)

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode cl-extra help-mode cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 116432 10734)
 (symbols 56 23147 0)
 (miscs 48 39 108)
 (strings 16 24613 5438)
 (string-bytes 1 744521)
 (vectors 16 15373)
 (vector-slots 8 461756 4184)
 (floats 8 168 57)
 (intervals 40 414 102)
 (buffers 856 12))