Subject: bug#23476: 25.0.93; Visiting C files on master signals an error

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 18:52:25 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sat, May 07, 2016 at 09:19:13PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 17:50:30 +0000
> > Cc: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> > > Thanks.  This eliminates the error, but not the annoying question
> > > about unsafe variables.

> > The annoying question, you only need to answer once (with !).  The
> > setting eliminates the annoying misfontification of the constructs using
> > the IF_LINT macro, e.g. in window.c, in the following:

> >     int top IF_LINT (= 0), ...

> > , top now gets correctly fontified as a variable declaration, not as a
> > function declaration, as still happens in the emacs-25 branch.

> No, I'd like that question to go away completely.  Visiting Emacs
> sources shouldn't trigger such questions, IMO it's absurd.

IF_LINT is an absurd macro, and C macros in general are absurd (unlike
Lisp ones).  Something's got to give.

> > To be fair, I did warn everybody about this in a post to emacs-devl on
> > 2016-04-30.

> Why warn?  Just let's not do it at all.

Because the one-time inconvenience (not counting emacs -Q invocations) of
answering the question is far less than the irritation and possible
misunderstading caused by the unvarying mis-fontification of variables
near IF_LINTs (of which there are 84 in the C sources, including 15 in
xdisp.c).

> Thanks.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).