Subject: bug#23451: closed (Re: bug#23451: 25.0.93; Clarify the dependency on find/grep for platforms not having those tools)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2017 14:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23451: 25.0.93; Clarify the dependency on find/grep for platforms not having those tools

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23451: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23451
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23451: 25.0.93; Clarify the dependency on find/grep for platforms not having those tools
From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2017 14:30:27 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 4:11 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 01:00:18 +0300
> >
> > See commit 4886b2e for something entirely different.
>
> Thanks, looks good to me.
>

Closing this bug was long overdue .. was fixed in
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?h=emacs-26&id=4886b2ed52249597d1ea638f20c0ceb689075e72

-- 

Kaushal Modi

Subject: 25.0.93; Clarify the dependency on find/grep for platforms not having those tools
From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, Drew Adams <[email-masked]>, Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 18:02:18 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

From: [email-masked] (Kaushal.Modi)
To: [email-masked]
Subject:
--text follows this line--

The changes to the A/Q bindings in dired as discussed and confirmed are not
immediately compatible on Windows

Ref: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23426#49

Even understanding that users would need to install GNU find & grep on
their Windows system to use the new implementations bound to A/Q in dired,
I believe that we should have the following:

- NOT bind A/Q at all if the right dependencies are not found. I tried the
A binding on Windows, it looked like it was grepping for the strings I
entered and returned an empty *xref* window. The same search on same files
worked as expected in RHEL (to be honest I love this new feature on RHEL,
and I might start using the A binding). Currently the implementation on
Windows gives an appearance that something was searched for and no results
were found. That is misleading!

Possible solution?

(when (correct-version-of-find-and-grep-found-p)
   (define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "A") #'dired-do-find-regexp)
   (define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "A") #'dired-do-find-regexp-and-replace))

- Another alternative would be (if we want to keep A/Q bindings) that a
user-error or error be thrown if the correct external dependencies are not
installed. The user should be let known that they need to install the GNU
find/grep executables for their platform in order to use those commands. In
the current implementation, the user will just assume that they searched
something and nothing got returned.

- The requirement to have find/grep installed should also go to backward
incompatible changes section in NEWS.

(I got an idea of "incompatible change" section in NEWS from this recent
commit:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?h=emacs-25&id=c68a09107c1f7459c626d38be5e0e991912e57ec
 )

I would suggest that this bug be made blocking for the release of 25.1.

For Windows users, the bindings change for A/Q keys in dired is not
apparent to the user. At the very least, an error should be thrown if the
correct external dependencies (GNU version of find/grep) are not found on
the system PATH.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.93.4 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2016-05-04 built on ..
Repository revision: adc80b7e238e09b1b8c392ecf902d2b978d9016d
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60900000
System Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.6
(Santiago)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules
 --prefix=/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/emacs-25
 'CPPFLAGS=-fgnu89-inline -I/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include
 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0'
 'CXXFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0' 'LDFLAGS=-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib
 -L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64 -ggdb3'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib/pkgconfig:/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64/pkgconfig:/cad/adi/apps/gnu/linux/x86_64/6/lib/pkgconfig:/cad/adi/apps/gnu/linux/x86_64/6/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig:/lib/pkgconfig:/lib64/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87685 9438)
 (symbols 48 19756 0)
 (miscs 40 40 172)
 (strings 32 14551 3894)
 (string-bytes 1 435236)
 (vectors 16 12373)
 (vector-slots 8 433753 3061)
 (floats 8 168 95)
 (intervals 56 243 0)
 (buffers 976 12)
 (heap 1024 36573 680))

-- 

-- 
Kaushal Modi