Subject: bug#23451: 25.0.93; Clarify the dependency on find/grep for platforms not having those tools

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 18:02:18 +0000

From: [email-masked] (Kaushal.Modi)
To: [email-masked]
Subject:
--text follows this line--

The changes to the A/Q bindings in dired as discussed and confirmed are not
immediately compatible on Windows

Ref: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23426#49

Even understanding that users would need to install GNU find & grep on
their Windows system to use the new implementations bound to A/Q in dired,
I believe that we should have the following:

- NOT bind A/Q at all if the right dependencies are not found. I tried the
A binding on Windows, it looked like it was grepping for the strings I
entered and returned an empty *xref* window. The same search on same files
worked as expected in RHEL (to be honest I love this new feature on RHEL,
and I might start using the A binding). Currently the implementation on
Windows gives an appearance that something was searched for and no results
were found. That is misleading!

Possible solution?

(when (correct-version-of-find-and-grep-found-p)
   (define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "A") #'dired-do-find-regexp)
   (define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "A") #'dired-do-find-regexp-and-replace))

- Another alternative would be (if we want to keep A/Q bindings) that a
user-error or error be thrown if the correct external dependencies are not
installed. The user should be let known that they need to install the GNU
find/grep executables for their platform in order to use those commands. In
the current implementation, the user will just assume that they searched
something and nothing got returned.

- The requirement to have find/grep installed should also go to backward
incompatible changes section in NEWS.

(I got an idea of "incompatible change" section in NEWS from this recent
commit:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?h=emacs-25&id=c68a09107c1f7459c626d38be5e0e991912e57ec
 )

I would suggest that this bug be made blocking for the release of 25.1.

For Windows users, the bindings change for A/Q keys in dired is not
apparent to the user. At the very least, an error should be thrown if the
correct external dependencies (GNU version of find/grep) are not found on
the system PATH.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.93.4 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2016-05-04 built on ..
Repository revision: adc80b7e238e09b1b8c392ecf902d2b978d9016d
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60900000
System Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.6
(Santiago)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules
 --prefix=/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/emacs-25
 'CPPFLAGS=-fgnu89-inline -I/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include
 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0'
 'CXXFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0' 'LDFLAGS=-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib
 -L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64 -ggdb3'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib/pkgconfig:/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64/pkgconfig:/cad/adi/apps/gnu/linux/x86_64/6/lib/pkgconfig:/cad/adi/apps/gnu/linux/x86_64/6/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig:/lib/pkgconfig:/lib64/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87685 9438)
 (symbols 48 19756 0)
 (miscs 40 40 172)
 (strings 32 14551 3894)
 (string-bytes 1 435236)
 (vectors 16 12373)
 (vector-slots 8 433753 3061)
 (floats 8 168 95)
 (intervals 56 243 0)
 (buffers 976 12)
 (heap 1024 36573 680))

-- 

-- 
Kaushal Modi