Subject: Re: bug#23446: 25.0.93; cursor-sensor-inhibit

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 18:00:06 -0400

On 5/4/2016 5:21 PM, Phillip Lord wrote:
> Ken Brown <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On 5/4/2016 12:37 PM, Phillip Lord wrote:
>>> Ken Brown <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> On 5/4/2016 8:58 AM, Phillip Lord wrote:
>>>>> I am getting the following error from a freshly bootstrapped emacs
>>>>> launching with emacs -q
>>>>>
>>>>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable cursor-sensor-inhibit)
>>>>
>>>>> I *think* it may be something amiss with loaddefs
>>>>
>>>> Try 'make -C lisp autoloads'.
>>>
>>>
>>> I think you are on the right track.
>>>
>>> I often build out-of-source, where you can clean by just deleting
>>> everything. But, this does not clean either loaddefs.el or the elc
>>> files.
>>
>> 'make bootstrap' *does* remove loaddefs.el and the elc files, even in an
>> out-of-source build.
>>
>> When you referred to a freshly bootstrapped emacs, did you mean that
>> you ran 'make bootstrap'?
>
> No, I mean build from a clean source tree. I rarely use make bootstrap
> for this because you have to run configure first. Normally I clean with
> git clean, or just delete the directory for out-of-source.
>
> So, this looks like up a failure during updating rather than anything
> else.

No, what happened is that the autoloads files got out of date and needed 
to be regenerated by 'make -C lisp autoloads', as I said in my first 
reply.  This happens from time to time and is documented in 
INSTALL.REPO.  It works perfectly well in an out-of-source build.  If 
you delete your build directory, however, then you've thrown away your 
Makefile, and it's too late.

The only reason you aren't bitten by this more often is that Glenn 
periodically updates the autoloads.  See, for example, his commit 3cade20.

Ken