Subject: Re: bug#23436: [PATCH] Attemp to use the true name of a file to determine responsible vc if the genuine name does not work.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 18:21:19 +0200

> From: Hong Xu <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 17:42:01 -0700
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> The attachment is a draft of my proposed doc change. Feel free to adjust
> the contents and the language.

Thanks, see a few comments below.

> diff --git a/doc/emacs/maintaining.texi b/doc/emacs/maintaining.texi
> index aca29910b7d3..8f31fa168c23 100644
> --- a/doc/emacs/maintaining.texi
> +++ b/doc/emacs/maintaining.texi

This should go to the ELisp manual, not the Emacs User manual.

> +@defun vc-responsible-backend file
> +This function can be used to determine the responsible VC backend of
> +the given file path @var{file}.

GNU coding standards frown on using "path" for anything that isn't a
PATH-style list of directories.  We use "file name" instead, but in
this case you don't need even that: just say "the given @var{file}".

>                                  For example, if @code{emacs.c} is a

emacs.c is a file, so it should have the @file markup, not @code.

> +file tracked by git, @code{(vc-responsible-backend "emacs.c")} returns
> +@code{"Git"}.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
You want @samp{Git} here, without the quotes.  The quotes might
mislead someone into thinking the result is a string.

Last, but not least: documentation changes need ChangeLog-style commit
log messages as well (just use "C-x 4 a" to get a preformatted
skeleton from which you could start).