Subject: bug#19811: closed (Re: bug#23433: Timeout in grafts)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 07:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23433: Attempt to graft texlive times out after one hour

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23433: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23433
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23433: Timeout in grafts
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 09:48:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue, May 03, 2016 at 05:02:54PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> What about if you also set --max-silent-time=70000?

My bad, with the additional option everything works. Thanks!

I wonder if having only one time-out option would not be clearer?

Andreas

Subject: Attempt to graft texlive times out after one hour
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 20:53:33 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On my i686 Libreboot X60, two consecutive attempts to run "guix package
-u" have failed with the following message:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
grafting '/gnu/store/i8iiv9qd1jndwxxr2h563fwwn0997xkx-cups-2.0.1' -> '/gnu/store/nrdr51fkncjm5nqkx70576g25l4ka5na-cups-2.0.1'...
grafting '/gnu/store/y2f71ym41fp803ysf62k1ajk687xd684-xsensors-0.70' -> '/gnu/store/vhjp122fax73k4vags86q6gqzk5qj232-xsensors-0.70'...
building of `/gnu/store/an8an36igcaasvg72kcjph7ns7ssgy6d-texlive-2014.drv' timed out after 3600 seconds of silence
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/c2fab7ppy5xqgsglvkdp489n95278izx-profile.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix package: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/c2fab7ppy5xqgsglvkdp489n95278izx-profile.drv' failed
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I guess that my machine and rotating disk are too slow to graft texlive
within an hour.

Apart from that, there are a few specific problems:

* It never notified me that it was grafting texlive.  Are those messages
  not printed until after the grafts have completed?

* I later discovered the --timeout option for 'guix build' (also
  supported by 'guix package') but the manual claims that "By default
  there is no timeout".  This seems to be incorrect.

     Mark