Subject: Re: bug#23432: 25.0.93; Email from Gnus now going out with Message-IDs @gmail.com

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 15:31:08 -0300

At 13:26 -0400 on Wednesday 2016-05-04, Glenn Morris wrote:
>
> I added a sentence to NEWS.

Thanks Glenn.

However, I don't believe this is enough.

This is an extremely egregious flaw. Inserting an inappropriate string like
"i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me" in Emacs users' email
messages, without asking their permission and without informing them, is
unacceptable.

If the "fix" is to document the danger in NEWS, then it should be in the
sections on Message and Gnus. No one is going to think to look under
`system-name'. After all, even the person who made this change to
`system-name' clearly didn't make the connection that it would effect
users's Message-IDs; there's no reason to expect a casual email user to
make that connection.

> (Should name.localdomain even have counted as valid for a message-id in
> the first place? The point is to be unique.)

Well, that's just the suffix of the Message-ID. The full thing would be,
for example, something like [email-masked]. Clearly
not unique like a GUID, but having a high probability of uniqueness.

N.