Subject: bug#23432: 25.0.93; Email from Gnus now going out with Message-IDs @gmail.com

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 13:26:25 -0300

Hi Eli,

At 17:50 +0300 on Wednesday 2016-05-04, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> 
>> If there is to be no fix, is a NEWS item warranted?
>
> It's already there, no?

No, it is not. (Looking at the emacs-25 branch as of a few minutes ago,
commit f559b374a30f3615261f7a902fc3428cac6289f4). The only entries under
Gnus and under Message Mode are about images. And there is nothing
relevant under incompatible changes.

The issue is that with the change to the behaviour of `system-name', a
random side effect is that users who's email configurations have worked
properly for years may now have inappropriate (possibly very
inappropriate) strings embedded in their mail headers unbeknownst to
them.

I'm not familiar enough with Message nor with NEWS to know how this
should be worded, but for me something like the following under Gnus and
Message would have told me what I needed to know. (Provided that it is
a) correct, and b) this is the best way of doing things.)

    Users relying on `system-name' to return a stable and fully-qualified
    domain name for the setting of Message-ID are advised that it may no
    longer do so reliably.  It is suggested that they set the variable
    `message-user-fqdn' explicitly.  See the node "News Headers" in the
    Message manual (`M-: (info "(message) News Headers")') for more details.

> See bug #19438.

Thank you for pointing me to that. I don't think I have an opinion on
that. But the fact remains that this change to `system-name' has had a
surprising impact on the return value from `message-make-fqdn'.

N.