Subject: bug#23431: 25.0.93; EWW hangs

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 18:28:40 +0300

> From: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 17:13:54 +0200
> 
> > We don't have infrastructure for doing this asynchronously.  If the
> > concurrency branch ever gets revived and merged, such jobs might be
> > good candidates for using that facility.  Otherwise, no, it isn't
> > possible.  It's not shr that is not designed for that, it's Emacs
> > itself.
> 
> preview-latex shows images in a (La)TeX buffer asynchronously.

AFAIK, it does that by running a separate program that produces an
image that Emacs then shows in display properties.

> Can't we *cough* simply *cough* do the same here ?

Maybe, I don't know.  With what external program?  Patches welcome,
anyway.

(Although I must confess that doing display related stuff in a
separate program is IMO a terribly ugly design.)