Subject: bug#23431: 25.0.93; EWW hangs

From: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 17:13:54 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>

>> But what about the 6-second hang, which I can reproduce even with
>> with shr-image-animate set to nil?  Should decoding of large images
>> happen asynchronously, or is shr not designed for that?
>
> We don't have infrastructure for doing this asynchronously.  If the
> concurrency branch ever gets revived and merged, such jobs might be
> good candidates for using that facility.  Otherwise, no, it isn't
> possible.  It's not shr that is not designed for that, it's Emacs
> itself.

preview-latex shows images in a (La)TeX buffer asynchronously. Can't we
*cough* simply *cough* do the same here ?

(see also David Kastrup's message at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-09/msg00893.html and
some of his explanations elsewhere in that thread for details on how
preview-latex work. I didn't investigate much myself.)

-- 
Nicolas