Subject: Re: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 19:08:56 +0300

> Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 08:39:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>         [email-masked]
> 
> > > The "new" is clearly not a sufficient replacement for the "old".
> > > It should have been (should be) added only as an opt-in option,
> > > not imposed as replacement.
> > 
> > We obviously disagree.
> 
> How can the new be considered a sufficient replacement, if it
> means that `A' and `Q' no longer work for users without `grep'
> or `find'?

We obviously don't consider that such a serious obstacle, and the
commands are not popular enough for that to be an issue.

> > And that ship has sailed long ago, btw.
> 
> When did it sail?

When it was decided to replace tags-* commands with xref-* commands,
about a year ago, I'd say, maybe more.

> This change is not present in any Emacs release AFAIK.

I don't see how this fact is relevant.  The discussions were held here
and on emacs-devel, with you and others reading it.

> > You were here all that time, so I don't understand why you raise
> > this only now.
> 
> Dunno what you mean by "here".

Here on this mailing list.

> This is the first I've learned of this feature and the fact that it
> requires users to install `grep' and `find' commands to use `A' and
> `Q' in Dired.

May I suggest to pay more attention to on-going discussions in the
future?

> Had you simply _added_ this feature and not usurped the existing
> bindings, you would likely have heard nothing from me about this.

These commands were introduced with the explicit intent to replace the
old ones as 'A' and 'Q' bindings, so that tags-loop-continue would not
be needed anymore.  Again, the discussions about that were all held
here, for quite a few moons.