Subject: RE: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 08:39:42 -0700 (PDT)

> > The "new" is clearly not a sufficient replacement for the "old".
> > It should have been (should be) added only as an opt-in option,
> > not imposed as replacement.
> 
> We obviously disagree.

How can the new be considered a sufficient replacement, if it
means that `A' and `Q' no longer work for users without `grep'
or `find'?

> And that ship has sailed long ago, btw.

When did it sail?  This change is not present in any Emacs release
AFAIK.

> You were here all that time, so I don't understand why you raise
> this only now.

Dunno what you mean by "here".  This is the first I've learned of
this feature and the fact that it requires users to install `grep'
and `find' commands to use `A' and `Q' in Dired.

Had you simply _added_ this feature and not usurped the existing
bindings, you would likely have heard nothing from me about this.
I have no objection to the _addition_ of another way to search
and replace in Dired.