Subject: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 18:39:44 +0300

On 05/04/2016 06:31 PM, Drew Adams wrote:

> It's the new feature that should perhaps not have a key.  At
> least it should not grab an existing key.  There are plenty of
> unbound keys in Dired.  And why not just provide the command,
> for now, and let users bind it themselves if they like?

Because we want to provide a coherent, consistent interface to the 
users. Since M-. has changes to the xref UI, it's better to use that UI 
in other searches when it's feasible.

> You changed the default behavior immediately.  That's a far
> cry from providing, say, an ELPA package with the new feature
> and letting users adopt it by choice, and then, after a few
> years, discussing and deciding whether to replace the existing
> default behavior.  What's the hurry to replace?

xref could have been incubated in ELPA, and that would have been a 
reasonable choice as well, but at the time it was decided to be good 
enough to be installed in the core already. So that ship has sailed.

>> OTOH, when Drew will stop assuming "Emacs devs" have ill will, and
>> release knee-jerk reactions, such as this one, based on that, is
>> anyone's guess.
>
> When will Eli stop personalizing everything?

There's no need to blame Eli for this, that's for sure.