Subject: RE: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 08:31:30 -0700 (PDT)

> > Users should not need to "avoid" using the default settings.
> 
> Yes, they should install 'grep' and 'find'.

Why "should" they?  Shouldn't users decide what users should do?

> > The "new" is clearly not a sufficient replacement for the "old".
> > It should have been (should be) added only as an opt-in option,
> > not imposed as replacement.
> 
> It's a tradeoff.

Let users discover the feature and choose the tradeoff they prefer.
Give Emacs Dev and users time to come to a more informed judgment.
That's been the approach for decades, and it's a wise one.  What's
the hurry to replace?

> We, frankly, don't have the technical capability (code quality WRT
> extensibility and manpower) to never remove features while continuing to
> move forward.

Sounds like a BS imperative, to me.  As if this new feature
were a must-have, and replacing the existing feature(s) were
a must-do-immediately (e.g. a security hole).

Better: "move forward" separately, with a library/feature that
people can choose to adopt.  If it's a better mousetrap then
users will choose it - no problem.  If you are confident in the
new feature, that's the way to show it.