Subject: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 21:24:22 -0700 (PDT)

> > Do I understand correctly (forgive me if wrong; I have not
> > studied this, and my Emacs 25 build is quite old) that `A'
> > in Dired is now bound by default to a command that requires
> > a user to have an external `grep' command?  (This was not
> > the case previously.)
> 
> Yusss. And 'find', too.

Ugh.  Hard to believe this got accepted, replacing a perfectly
good command that everyone could use (and has used, for decades) -
no dependency on anything outside Emacs, worked on all platforms.

This new feature should have been added as, uh, err, well, just
a new feature - a new command, totally unrelated to existing `A'
etc.  Bad idea to usurp `A' for a command that requires a user
to have `grep' and `find'.  Bad Emacs.

But it seems that the new trend in Emacs Dev is to willy nilly
replace longstanding stuff, rather than just introducing new
stuff, letting users experiment with it, and after years of
experience and feedback PERHAPS change some default behavior
to make better use of it by default.

Should have just added this to an ELPA repository, as something
optional that users might want to try out.