Subject: bug#23426: closed (Re: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 23:09:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23426: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23426
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 02:08:36 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.1

On 05/03/2016 07:18 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> (The fact that it uses grep should perhaps be documented, since it
>> affects what one can search for.)
>
> I added that to the doc string.  I'm much less inclined to state this
> ion the manual, as this seems to be a subtle implementation detail,
> and is probably subject to change.

Right, and it's not easy to describe, because for now we support only 
constructs that Grep understands but require the user to escape the 
terms the way Emacs requires, not Grep (so the result is somewhere 
between BRE and ERE).

Hopefully, we'll allow more Emacs-specific terms in the future (by 
stripping them out before giving the regexp to Grep, and then verifying 
the matches in Emacs with the correct regexp).

>> For this specific example, a grep-ish way to find empty lines is '^$'.
>> However, using "A" to search for that (or the empty regexp) causes Emacs
>> to hang indefinitely. :(
>
> That's a bug that should be fixed, for sure.

Fixed in 4d8fd9c. Closing.

Subject: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline
From: Heinz Rommerskirchen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 19:17:20 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

dired-do-find-regexp can't find matches for a regexp containing newline.
To trigger the bug:
- start "emacs -Q"
- open "/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.93/etc/" in dired
- mark the file NEWS and maybe a few more
- type "A C-q C-j C-q C-j"
- there is a message in the echo area: "No matches for:

"
In former versions of Emacs (e.g. 24.5.1) this same recipe brought you 
to the first empty line in one of the marked files.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.93.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.7, 
cairo version 1.14.2)
  of 2016-04-28 built on canna
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	openSUSE Leap 42.1 (x86_64)

Configured using:
  'configure --with-cairo --with-modules --with-xwidgets'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF
GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
   value of $LC_COLLATE: C
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: C
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
user-error: No matches for:
  [2 times]
Note: file is write protected
<C-f4> is undefined
user-error: No matches for:

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils find-dired
semantic/fw mode-local find-func xref cl-seq project eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode
easymenu grep compile comint ansi-color ring dired-aux cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib dired time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 110376 4867)
  (symbols 48 21765 0)
  (miscs 40 70 143)
  (strings 32 20598 4326)
  (string-bytes 1 649249)
  (vectors 16 14946)
  (vector-slots 8 464287 4193)
  (floats 8 225 154)
  (intervals 56 513 0)
  (buffers 976 14)
  (heap 1024 42366 1243))