Subject: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 20:03:54 +0300

> Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 13:09:06 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked],
>         [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> I asked only that `A' and `Q' be left bound to their commands (which
> are still available).  As I said, if those bindings were not being
> co-opted immediately then I would have had nothing to say here.
> 
> I've heard no reason why different bindings, instead, are not given
> to the new search and search-and-replace features, at least as long
> as the original commands are supported.  No reason, that is, beyond
> the statement that the ultimate aim is to replace the older commands.

You did hear the reasons.  I have now repeated them in a previous
message.

> I spoke up here when I guessed that some users of `A' and `Q' today
> would be unable to use them tomorrow, without installing some
> non-Emacs software.

Those same users will have to download and install Emacs itself, and
most probably also download and install the new versions of support
libraries (which are distributed separately).  Why doing that is any
different from installing Grep and Findutils (which, btw, are
available from the same site as those optional libraries), is unclear
to me.  Installing GNU tools on Windows always required a certain
amount of "tinkering", so let's trust our Windows users a bit more
that they are not too inept, okay?

Heck, we don't even know how many Emacs users on MS-Windows out there
don't _already_ have those packages installed.  (My guess: zero.)  We
also don't know how many Windows users actually know or care about
these two specific Dired commands.  (My guess: not too many.)

> Is it possible to welcome the new commands but point out disagreement
> with their being assigned the keys `A' and `Q'?

Yes, it is.  But the style of doing that matters.  Try assuming that
the reasons for the decisions with which you disagree are not "rush",
or ineptitude, or lack of understanding of basic UI design.  You
complain about sarcasm, but have you considered the flood of sarcasm
that you repeatedly pour on us?