Subject: Re: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 21:23:09 +0300

On 05/02/2016 08:17 PM, Heinz Rommerskirchen wrote:

> dired-do-find-regexp can't find matches for a regexp containing newline.
> To trigger the bug:
> - start "emacs -Q"
> - open "/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.93/etc/" in dired
> - mark the file NEWS and maybe a few more
> - type "A C-q C-j C-q C-j"
> - there is a message in the echo area: "No matches for:
>
> "
> In former versions of Emacs (e.g. 24.5.1) this same recipe brought you
> to the first empty line in one of the marked files.

I don't know if it's possible to search for "A^J^J" using find+grep, and 
it's the implementation choice for this function.

On the one hand, it limits the variety of the regexp you can use. On the 
other hand, you can get results faster, and you can search inside 
directories (dired-do-search only searches within regular files and 
silently skips any marked directories).