Subject: Re: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 11:20:31 -0700

>>>>> Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

>> These commands were introduced with the explicit intent to replace the old
>> ones as 'A' and 'Q' bindings, so that tags-loop-continue would not be
>> needed anymore. Again, the discussions about that were all held here, for
>> quite a few moons.

> I give up.

Hi Drew,

I think all of this is happening in an attempt to re-establish consistency
among usage patterns, keybindings, and other features, so that the old tag
lookup functionality can be entirely replaced by the new xref functionality.

Could it all have happened differently? Sure; but as Eli and Dmitry have said,
that ship has sailed. It happened under a different maintainer, and so now we
have to accept what it is and work toward the best solution using this
technology. It's that, or rip it all out altogether, which Eli assures me
would be an unfortunate loss of time, energy, and some very nice improvements.

So, if we could all just take a pause: nothing is perfect, and we're now
trying to achieve the best stability we can in preparation for the next
release. I'm quite open to future proposals regarding 26, if you want to start
those discussions. Until then, let's try our best to help Eli and Dmitry and
others to get these features ready for prime-time, rather than continuing to
question things that happened and were discussed quite some months ago.

Thanks!
-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2