Subject: Re: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 18:06:53 +0000

OK, I have filed a new bug report for this request:

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23451

> That's not possible.  To find the dependencies, we need a trigger,
> which is the command itself.  So it must be bound.
>

I meant that the A/Q keys be left unbound if dependencies are not found.

> Detecting the situation and signaling an error is probably a good
> thing.  But I'm not sure it isn't too late for such changes, unless we
> want to delay the release.
>

The current state keeps the Windows user believing that the A/Q action did
not find anything, without giving them a hint that they don't have
find/grep installed (which would be the case most of the time). If we want
the Windows users to use the new implementation, they at least should know
that they are missing the executables and that they need to install them
manually. IMO this counts like a blocking bug.

> > - The requirement to have find/grep installed should also go to backward
> incompatible changes section in
> > NEWS.
>
> As Dmitry points out, there is no such section.
>

Sorry, I got the impression that such section existed based on this recent
commit:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?h=emacs-25&id=c68a09107c1f7459c626d38be5e0e991912e57ec
-- 

-- 
Kaushal Modi