Subject: RE: bug#23426: 25.0.93; dired-do-find-regexp doesn't find newline

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 09:32:45 -0700 (PDT)

> Maintaining too many alternative UIs is a maintenance burden we cannot
> afford.

Even if you left the existing `A' and `Q' code dormant, there
would likely be little noticeable problem.  At least for a few
years, while letting users experiment with the new.

Seriously, how much change has been needed recently for the
existing `A' and `Q' code?  Code which you are anyway not
removing immediately.

The question I raised is only about the key bindings.

> > I don't claim ill will - never have.
> 
> May I suggest that you ask someone impartial to read all your posts,
> and provide feedback?  You might be surprised to learn how your
> messages read.

Ditto.  Can you show where I claimed ill will on anyone's part
in making this change?  I'm sure the intentions were good ones.
That doesn't mean that the result is the best of all worlds.

As I said earlier, if the key bindings had not been taken over,
I would likely have said nothing at all about this new feature.
Except possibly (once I've played with it) "thank you" for it.

It's a minor complaint: Please leave the existing key bindings.

> > What's the imperative behind this key-binding replacement?
> > Why not just offer the new feature as a plus, not a
> > plus-and-minus?
> 
> See above.

The maintenance burden of the existing `A' and `Q' code?
You're not removing it immediately anyway.  Why the need to
take over those keys immediately?