Subject: Re: bug#23425: master branch: `message' wrongly corrupts ' to curly quote.

From: "John Wiegley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 14:15:54 -0700

>>>>> Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> For instance, if we had such an option now, Alan wouldn't have found the
> presently discussed bug. It wouldn't not manifest with his setup, but it
> would manifest in default Emacs configuration where quote translation is
> enabled, and the majority of the users would suffer.

Hmm... these good arguments are getting in the way of my tirade.

Alright, I will let this go without a customization option, again. Alan, you
can setq `text-quoting-style' for now in your .emacs, although doing so may
get in the way of finding more bugs.

Let's see what the populace says, and how many pitchforks are raised. It's
quite possible we may revert this whole feature in 26, but let's get some
genuine public reaction before deciding the matter.

Within the Emacs developers, I now see strong votes against, some votes for
(are they as strong?), but I still don't know what the World At Large is going
to think.

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2