Subject: Re: bug#23425: master branch: `message' wrongly corrupts ' to curly quote.

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 14:50:21 -0700

On 05/04/2016 11:57 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> I proposed a scheme, ....
> By which you mean you installed your changes on the master branch.
>
No, I mean that I emailed patches to bug-gnu-emacs, which is the 
documented way to suggest changes. There was a reasonably lengthy 
discussion about the patches and I eventually installed into master a 
patchset that was quite a bit different from what I originally proposed, 
after getting an OK from Emacs's then-maintainer.

At the time I didn't think it was that big a deal: it's just quoting in 
diagnostics, after all. With the benefit of hindsight I now see that I 
was mistaken about how strongly some users are attached to quoting `like 
this'. I am sorry you were not involved earlier, as that would likely 
have saved us a lot of grief. I am also sorry about the whole 
misunderstanding and will strive to publicize future changes on 
emacs-devel more prominently, even changes that I may think are not that 
important.