Subject: Re: bug#23425: master branch: `message' wrongly corrupts ' to curly quote.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 18:57:46 +0000

Hello, Paul.

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 11:39:08AM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 05/04/2016 11:04 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Despite the
> > great opposition to it, Paul plowed ahead with several varied schemes for
> > curly quotes, not waiting for consensus first,

> This misrepresents what happened.

You installed your contentious changes without prior discussion on
emacs-devel.

> I proposed a scheme, ....

By which you mean you installed your changes on the master branch.

> ... got feedback, altered the proposal in response to the feedback,
> gained general (though not universal) agreement, ....

It's a pity you didn't attempt to garner that agreement BEFORE
installing your changes.  That might have saved a lot of bad feeling.

> and got an OK from the maintainer before committing the change. The
> installed scheme differs quite a bit from my personal preference. Like
> most compromises it's easy for each of us to find something we dislike
> about it.

You'll recall that at one point I installed a quick change to make the
translation of quotes optional.  Your reaction, the very next day, was
to nullify my change, rendering your translations mandatory again.

> I plan to look into the further change you proposed, with an eye toward 
> installing something like it (but I hope simpler) in the master branch. 
> It's a bit late to be fiddling with this sort of thing in the emacs-25 
> branch, though.

No, that won't do.  By "something like it", you probably mean something
that leaves the translation mandatory.  Only a facility which allows
total disablement will be adequate here.  After discussion with Eli, I
intend to apply the patch I proposed yesterday, and I'd be much obliged
if this time you would allow its intention to survive.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).