Subject: Re: bug#23425: master branch: `message' wrongly corrupts ' to curly quote.

From: Yuri Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 01:59:35 +0700

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 1:21 AM, Clément Pit-Claudel
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> In that long run, I have more news for you: there are languages which
>> have a letter that looks almost, but not exactly, like the apostrophe
>> punctuation mark, but is encoded differently. (E.g. Ukrainian, U+02BC
>> Modifier Letter Apostrophe, as opposed to U+2019 Right Single
>> Quotation Mark).
>
> Do you mean that in these languages the casual way is to write ', though the formal way would be ʼ?

Hm, I haven’t thought about that. That depends.

The default XKB Ukrainian layout maps the <TLDE> key to U+0027 and
Shift+<TLDE> to U+02BC. I have no knowledge whether X11/GNU/Linux
users actually bother to press Shift.

The Ukrainian layout on Windows (Vista and above) has only U+0027.
There exist third-party typographic layouts but I assume they are only
used by people who are (1) aware of the difference, and (2) care.

So, yes, I expect that the majority of Ukrainian computer users do in
fact enter U+0027 when the correct character is U+02BC.