Subject: Re: bug#23425: master branch: `message' wrongly corrupts ' to curly quote.

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2017 10:21:30 +0200

On Jun 05 2017, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> Elisp code needed to use
>>> (message "%s" STR) even before the change you're objecting to,
>>
>> Did it?  When and why?
>
> Yes, because one can’t pass arbitrary strings to the message function and
> expect them to be displayed as-is.

Another bad argument, because we are talking about format strings, which
you cannot be replaced by "%s".

>>>           (error "Can't find `%s' in %s" thing where)))
>>>   =>      (error "Can%'t find %`%s%' in %s" thing where)))

A better way would be a new modifier to place quotes around the
argument.  That's what GCC is using now.  Also, contractions like don't
should be avoided anyway.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."