Subject: Re: bug#23425: master branch: `message' wrongly corrupts ' to curly quote.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 20:06:43 +0300

> From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 11:46:58 -0700
> 
> As maintainer, I'll go on record by saying that I very much dislike the new
> curly quotes logic.

I'm not a big fan of them, either.

But this isn't about mine or yours or Paul's personal preferences.
This is about the Emacs users out there.  It is claimed that the
majority wants these quotes, and that Emacs using `this quoting' is
perceived as anything but modern, to put it mildly.

There are those who claim the exact opposite: that the majority wants
to remain with `this'.  I imagine there's also those who don't care
much either way, and have not spoken about this.

How can we know which way is the truth, except by letting a larger
group of users try that?  I don't see any other practical way of doing
that.