Subject: bug#23423: closed (Re: bug#23423: 25.0.93; Opening file from the command line stays in *GNU Emacs* buffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 14:55:01 +0000

Your bug report

#23423: 25.0.93; Opening file from the command line stays in *GNU Emacs* buffer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23423: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23423
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#23423: 25.0.93; Opening file from the command line stays in *GNU Emacs* buffer
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Jan Synacek <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 17:54:05 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 13:28:49 +0200
> From: Jan Synacek <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> It turns out that the gtk bug I was referring to was an incompatibility and was
> fixed in emacs git [1]. And it also turns out that my original bug report is not
> reproducible with the patch applied.

Thanks for telling us.

> However, I still think that the buffer should be visible in case
> emacs is run with the splash screen and the window is so small that
> it cannot be split.

I disagree, sorry.  The extremely small frame you were getting is the
result of the bug that was already fixed, so I see no reason to cater
to buggy behavior anymore.

Subject: 25.0.93; Opening file from the command line stays in *GNU Emacs* buffer
From: [email-masked] (Jan Synáček)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 May 2016 12:32:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Steps to reproduce:
1) Install emacs and run 'emacs <any file>' from the command line.

The file is opened, but you have to switch to its buffer because, for
some reason, the splash screen stays as the current buffer. You can work
around this by running emacs with '--no-splash'.

Expected behavior is to switch to the file's buffer and not to stay
in the *GNU Emacs* buffer.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.93.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.3)
 of 2016-04-25 built on jsynacek-ntb.brq.redhat.com
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:	Fedora release 24 (Twenty Four)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  erc-notifications-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Logging in as ‘jsynacek’... done
Saving file /home/jsynacek/SpiderOak Hive/orgfiles/fin-2016.org...
Wrote /home/jsynacek/SpiderOak Hive/orgfiles/fin-2016.org
Saving file /home/jsynacek/SpiderOak Hive/orgfiles/energie.org...
Wrote /home/jsynacek/SpiderOak Hive/orgfiles/energie.org
Revert buffer from file /home/jsynacek/work/status-reports/latest? (y or n) y
Mark set
Saving file /home/jsynacek/work/status-reports/latest...
Wrote /home/jsynacek/work/status-reports/latest
Composing main Info directory...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/jsynacek/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20160202.843/helm-multi-match hides /home/jsynacek/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-core-20160201.100/helm-multi-match

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils tabify
org-table undo-tree diff org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info
org-gnus org-docview doc-view subr-x jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex
bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m ob-python org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ido misearch
multi-isearch vc-git diff-mode sh-script smie executable derived
rpm-spec-mode erc-desktop-notifications notifications dbus winner
helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug helm-mode helm-files rx
image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize
shell dired-aux ffap helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark
helm-adaptive helm-info bookmark helm-locate helm-external helm-net
browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap
helm-types private erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks
erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill
erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat
format-spec auth-source gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
password-cache thingatpt pp helm-swoop helm-grep helm-regexp helm-plugin
helm-utils compile comint ansi-color ring helm-help helm helm-source
cl-seq eieio-compat eieio eieio-core cl-macs helm-multi-match helm-lib
geiser recentf tree-widget wid-edit edmacro kmacro dired-x dired cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs use-package diminish bind-key easy-mmode advice finder-inf
goto-chg-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads info package epg-config seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib paren time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 978159 42378)
 (symbols 48 44914 2)
 (miscs 40 181 843)
 (strings 32 112532 18784)
 (string-bytes 1 3314280)
 (vectors 16 65375)
 (vector-slots 8 1059425 23434)
 (floats 8 470 502)
 (intervals 56 36627 8453)
 (buffers 976 23)
 (heap 1024 51657 3764))

-- 
Jan Synacek
Software Engineer, Red Hat